The Pink Pingat

I haven't written anything here in a while! The main reason is that I started to take a pattern from a corset at work to share, as I don't have one in my notebook already for the 1830s, and then started considering whether that's against policy, so decided I should stop until I discussed it with someone ... and then didn't ... and then, you know, the museum was closed and we all had to go home. So.

In the meantime, I have been working on Mimic of Modes patterns! (Everything's 50% off this week!) You may have noticed if you follow this blog's page on Facebook. I've made:

The Very Easy Crinoline

I don't know how much demand there is for this, given that crinolines can be purchased easily from Pin Up Girl and Unique Vintage and other shops, but I wanted more practice figuring out how to grade patterns and write instructions. There is also an excellent vintage clothing store here in Oneonta, and I purchased a whole bunch of things to pattern in the future, and this was the simplest.

The Agnes Cap

Why Agnes? I don't know, it's just the name that this cap makes me think of. We can say it's because of Agnes Grey, eponymous heroine of a novel by my favorite Brontë. I had drafted the pattern up from The Workwoman's Guide for an event last year and then had it sitting around, so I thought I might as well make it easily available to other people since it doesn't need sizing.

But most importantly ... The Pink Pingat (bodice-only version)


This has been a very long time coming, as you may remember, and it's a huge weight off of my shoulders to have it finally available to the public. (The belt and chemisette - the latter not in this photo - will be available at some time in the future.) I really hope that people enjoy it - it's a great dress. Best of all, with a little tweaking it can be used for evening gowns from about 1865 to about 1875! The styling of the bodice is fashionable from roughly 1865 to 1872, and could be pushed a few years later if one doesn't mind looking a little out of date, and the gored skirt can be worn over either an elliptical hoop or a bustle. That being said, if wearing it with a bustle it would be more appropriate to add a short overskirt, as those came in around 1869.

Now that I feel more confident about dealing with more complex garments, I'll be bringing out some more interesting patterns! These should soon include:

- the purple satin spencer from Regency Women's Dress (at Old Sturbridge Village)

- the "peacock" dress I made for a wedding in 2015 (at the New York State Museum)

- a Double-Ve corset waist (at the St. Lawrence County Historical Association)

... and many more! I'm trying to make sure to switch periods between each pattern so as to get a good mix, but I really want to do everything I've taken a pattern from over the past ten years, which is making it hard to decide.

Comments

  1. You have a real ability to write a content that is helpful for us. Thank you for your efforts in sharing such blogs to us. buy wedding dress online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pride and Prejudice 1995: The Little Things

Ca. 1866 Brown Gown - A Close-Up Look

Pattern Time: 1860s Chemise