Those promised pictures! I would have taken a picture of the petticoat on me but it's dreadfully unflattering without stays, and I didn't feel like taking the time to really get dressed.
Today I worked on my thesis corset. Really, I didn't get a huge amount done, but I did make steps forward! For one thing, I'd bought a new fabric marker at Walmart a few days ago, so I was able to draw over the thread-tracing and get rid of the basting stitches, and I was able to draw the lines easily for the last two channels.
The originals I'm working from were more heavily boned, and had some horizontal ones as well, but at this point I'm really just looking for something that will give me the right silhouette.