Friday, August 5, 2011

The worst sewing project ever

I feel like I shouldn't even write about this because it's been mostly done by my mom, but she is wonderful and the world needs to be educated. *blows her a kiss*

A while ago, one of my supervisors at the museum where I intern asked if I could make her a dress for a gala.  I said sure!  Because generally I can follow a pattern on the machine, although my specialty is fiddly handwork (I think).  And I sent her a selection of pattern URLs, including this as an afterthought, and that is the one that she chose.

Things I have learned from this experience:

  • Shiny, slippery rayon is very hard to deal with
  • Shiny, slippery silk charmeuse is even more difficult to deal with
  • All of this is especially bad when everything is on the bias
  • Asymmetry is confusing
  • Pleating into a panel is painstaking
  • Cowl necklines makes everything just a bit harder
All of this adds up into: I will probably never do 1930s costuming.

The most important lesson of all is, of course, that when Vogue says a pattern is advanced, they really mean it's advanced.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mom.

2 comments:

  1. OH, don't give up on 30's clothing...it's beautiful, and the more you do of it, the better you get. I'm sure you weren't that bad at it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have a couple of days between me and the dress, I'm feeling more charitable towards the 30s. :D I don't see me making something bias-cut AND slippery AND asymmetrical, but I could do two out of three, probably.

    ReplyDelete