1840s Chemise

For once I have an actual sewing update!  More pictures and explanation on the official page, here, but I'm proud of it, so here is me in it:


Also, I look decent in the picture, which is more than enough reason to post it.

On L'art de la Lingere: I've decided that I'm going to be publishing it on Amazon rather than posting it here in installments.  Sorry!  But I will of course have a few promotional days so you can get it for free.  Right now I've finished the initial translation, and I'm revising it to make sentences make sense and to fix areas where I didn't quite understand words/phrases until they were made clear later on.  I'm hoping that one of my brilliant, wonderful French friends would volunteer to help me out with the areas (I promise, there are not that many) where I'm really stumped?  I will of course credit you.

Comments

  1. Dear Cassidy,
    I think it turned out very well, too! Most of us would probably have set the gussets the same way you did: good catch on that one. Really like how the neckline lays: that's one of the nicest things about this later type of chemise: the boat neck is handsome on.

    Very best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it is a very flattering neckline, I just love how it looks.

      I'd like to fix the sleeves, now that I've figured out what's wrong with them, but it would require so much taking apart ... definitely a for-the-next-time thing.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I'm French and if ever I can help with something, please ask !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo, yes! Can you give me your email address?

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I have 2 chemises in my collection with similar necklines but I think both are closer to 1860s or 1870s.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It is a bit tricky, date-wise, but I went with the earlier date because the original is linen rather than cotton and because the neckline's not as wide and the yoke's not as deep. But in construction it does share a lot with the later styles!

      Delete
  4. Oh, how very cute. I love the way the collar fits. And yes, it's a cute photo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ca. 1866 Brown Gown - A Close-Up Look

Pride and Prejudice 1995: The Little Things

Hyde Hall Planning: 1830s Chemises