|Petticoat, 1850-1865; MMA 2009.300.3256 (OASC)|
(Darn this dress form! I've fitted it to myself twice and done surgery on it, and it's still so big I can't button the waistband. It's pinned on.)
Both petticoats are identical, or at least they're meant to be.
As this is, of course, the tucks & pleats challenge, I put two tucks near the hem on each. This will help the petticoats stand out, as well as be a bit of decoration. If I were to make an 1840s or early 1850s outfit, I could add a couple more and make it the proper length to be worn without a hoop.
Each petticoat is 180" around (kind of excessive, but I felt I'd rather have it than want it), tightly gathered at the top, and stitched to the waistband using the stroked gather technique. I ended up with 22 gathers per inch. It's kind of intense.
The Challenge: #2, Tucks & Pleating
Fabric/Materials: Ten yards of cheapo white muslin, 60" wide, from the Dharma Trading Co., at $4.09/yd
Year: Mid-19th century, to be worn over a round hoop, so 1856-1862 or so
Notions: A couple of plastic imitation mother-of-pearl buttons that I picked up for fifty cents years ago
How historically accurate is it? They're pretty accurate apart from the plastic buttons and the fact that any Victorian would turn up their nose at the fabric quality. I used my treadle machine to sew the vertical seams, tucks, and hems - according to the petticoat linked above, such things were done. The stroked gathers and buttonholes were done by hand.
Hours to complete: Oh man. About six hours each for the gathering and attaching the waistband. An hour to pin up and sew the hems. Maybe an hour and a half to do the tucks, I didn't take the time to make sure they were properly straight. Another half hour for the buttonholes and buttons. All together that comes to 15, which sort of feels like an underestimation.
First worn: Not yet, but will be taken out at the end of the July for the Civil War Weekend
Total cost: $41.40